December 12, 2012

The Land of Unfinished Projects

I may rename this blog. "House Four" seemed like it fit when I first decided to start another blog, but now I'm thinking "The Place Where Crafty Projects Go To Die" is more fitting.

Are you like me? Do you have umpteen unfinished crafts or home improvement projects sitting unfinished in your basement or closet? I've decided 2013 is the year to finish my unfinished projects. If I don't want to finish them, I'm going to donate them or get rid of them in some way because they just make me feel bad. I hate that I spent money on the materials for these things and now they sit unfinished and, frankly, under-valued in a closet somewhere.

To light a fire under my butt, I'm going to post photos of some of my unfinished works. If I post it, I'll feel guilty about not finishing so here goes:

Project #1 - A 75" x 87" quilt I started in 1999. Nope, not kidding. I was a gainfully employed, married adult in 1999. I know many of you were but wee babes in 1999, but let's just state facts - I'M OLD - and move on ;)


This is the package of instructions for the quilt. My friend Erin, who I took my first quilting course with, bought it for me. Thanks Erin! Sorry I never finished it but...well...I have no excuse.
Anyway...this is quite country in style and not really my colours anymore either, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't finish it and give it the love and admiration it deserves. Don't try to tell me you didn't like these colours in the late 90's because you did. Get over it ;)

So I am more than half-way finished this quilt top. This is the centre of the quilt:


And these are the house and tree blocks that go around the centre (hence the name of the quilt: "Around the Block"):

 

There is a LOT of cutting and piecing with this quilt. Tiny little squares and rectangles to make the houses and fencing, in particular. But I will endure and finish this quilt! I have all the trees, all the fences and half of the houses made so I'm most of the way there.

Project #2:  A Peggy's Cove cross-stitch (Peggy's Cove is in Nova Scotia for the non-Canadians who might be reading)


This one is actually pretty much "finished". At least the cross-stitching part is. But I haven't done anything with it. So I need to decide whether to frame it or turn it into a pillow. OR just give it away. Decisions....

Project #3: Another cross-sitch - was meant to be the top of a sewing kit box with padding underneath so it can double as a pincushion


This one is close to finished. But I started it before I began having symptoms of arthritis in my fingers so I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to finish this. See? Told you I'm old ;)

This is by no means the full list of unfinished, sad little projects. But before I tumble into the depths of despair over my inability to finish things, I'll show you something I completed the other day! I Pinned a Christmas ornament tutorial a while ago and since I had some glass ornaments and acrylic craft paints lying around, I thought I'd give it a try. And it was so easy I'm going to make more. I love how these turned out. I used multiple colours and they swirled around on their own - the tutorial uses one colour per ornament but I think both are pretty:



These are all the colours I used:


OK I feel better now. I've also completed a few other projects but I'll save those for another day :)
Until then, please tell me you have a stash of unfinished crap in your house?

9 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard...I don't know if this is the bravest thing I have ever seen, or the dumbest? I know my list would match yours one to one. I also look at the colors and think....too bad, finish it! We should get a group together and try to knock off one annoying project per month. That would motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda! Did you just call me dumb??!!! ha ha - I knew you would get the biggest kick out of this post. I'm definitely going to finish that quilt. Not sure what I'll do with it, but the damned thing is going to be finished! I want to make some new, more modern quilts but I told myself I have to finish this one first. I'm IN for a project-a-month club. Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh. I am terrible for buying supplies and then never doing anything with them. it's such a money suck!!


    Good luck finishing these things - or having the strength to say "oh well" and move on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - craft supplies are like crack aren't they? lol

      Delete
  4. If you saw my to do list you'd feel so much better. We're kind of at a stall right now which is really frustrating, but it is what it is;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an excellent excuse Tiffany! You're doing the most creative job possible right now :)

      Delete
  5. A project a month is a great idea ! ...and I laughed out loud at Linda calling you dumb, Janet. Crack me up. She has d'best sense of humour - just like YOU YOU YOU xx

    Here is my dumb idea: LOL : What if you broke the quilt up into smaller projects ? Like using the tree sections in pillows, or chair pads(?) Even the cross stitching would be cool as a chair pad...hmmm....the smaller projects may seem less daunting. What if you drank wine with your friends while you finished the projects ? haha.

    LOVE LOVE Love the Christmas ornaments. Those are damn sexy !! Mighty fine !!!

    Merry Ho ho to you, my friend.

    Big love....Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynne that's the smartest dumb idea I've heard all day! lol
    Especially the wine part :)
    My idea for now is to donate the quilt to the local women's shelter but if I don't finish, I'm totally stealing your idea!
    I miss you!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I don't really hoard supplies as much as crap that I tell myself I'll be able to use one day that used to serve a different purpose. It drives hubby nuts!!! This small house can not fit quite so much... love that you're shaming yourself into being productive. hahaha, whatever it takes, right?! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment here: Love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...