January 17, 2013

Dude - You Forgot Your Blog

I took this photo in Amsterdam in April and titled it, "Dude - You Forgot Your Bike". Seriously....how long do you think this bike has been sitting there? And locked up, no less. Just in case someone was thinking about riding it home:


Poor, sad wee bike :(

Kind of like this blog, in fact ;)

For a while now I've been too busy painting and making/eating Christmas cookies with my family to blog. To remedy that situation, I'll share my most recent Annie Sloan painting project. I used a few techniques and paint colours for this one and I think it turned out pretty well.

First some before photos. This is an iPhone photo of a buffet I bought from someone on kijiji last year. I think I paid $50 for it? When you see the close-up shots, you'll wonder why I paid anything for it. I'm starting to wonder that myself...


 
Someone had a major party and forgot to clean up one night, it would seem. Honestly - how does this kind of damage happen in day to day life?

This next photo is worse:


It's true. I paid actual money for something a dog almost chewed to pieces. What is WRONG with me? Live and learn, I guess.

Some wood filler, sanding and a bunch of coats of paint later, and now I have this:



 

(Please forgive the pinkish cast in these photos. It's dark here today so a few lights had to be on to take these)

The base colour here is Annie Sloan French Linen which I love, love, LOVE. But alone it was kind of dull. So I first added a wash (watered down coat) of Old White and then rubbed off most of it, leaving the white just where the details are and in cracks/crevices (not unlike the ones under my aging eyes). Once that was dry, I followed with a very thin coat of clear wax and followed THAT with a coat of dark wax, rubbing off the excess as I worked so the wax didn't make the finish look too dirty.

The top and inside of the buffet are Annie Sloan Graphite. The top got a coat of dark wax to deepen the colour (Graphite is quite blue on its own), followed by a good buffing.

One little tip Kathie Jordan (my closest Annie Sloan stockist) was kind enough to share with me: If you find the wax looks uneven even after buffing, take a clean cloth dampened with mineral spirits and wipe away some of the excess wax until the finish looks even again. Then you can wax again. In my case, I wiped some mineral spirits all over this piece....anywhere the dark wax made the finish too dirty looking. And then followed with some more clear wax and a good buffing with cheesecloth to finish.

I'm pretty happy with this first try. I'm sure with practice I can do better but I think I successfully gave this piece a new life for now :)

Coming up: I bought some fabric with Christmas money that was burning a hole in my pocket...planning on making a modern quilt with that. I also bought an instructional DVD from Slipcovers by Shelley to learn how to make my own slipcovers. I have a few fabric samples so once I choose the winner, I plan to slipcover a chair. Wish me luck!

In other news, I just found the world's biggest cobwebs in my powder room. Apparently more than just my blog needs some attention ;)





15 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful piece of furniture - I don't think you over paid at all, despite the damage!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks, Ashley! That makes me feel better about it :)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I want to do this one day - purchase a junked up piece of furniture and then turn it into something amazing!

    You said the inside is also the color of the top. Is there a photo of that? How does the inside look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I actually didn't photograph the inside. That was kind of dumb, wasn't it (since I mentioned it!)?? I will and will post a photo for you.

      Delete
  3. It looks awesome! Glad your cookies finally ran out. I just finished a piece and I'm considering waxing it. Do you think I should? My client painted it and I sanded it a bit and applied a water based stain to distress but it needs something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicole!
      If you used Chalk paint, then I would say yes, the wax step is necessary. it gives it a durable finish and really adds some depth to the paint colour. I sent you a more detailed email so let me know if that helps!

      Delete
  4. I want to see the cobweb. This came out great, and I love the color in your home. Wax on wax off? I wonder if that bike is for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I swear I would have sent you a cobweb photo if I hadn't cleaned it up before reading this comment ;) LOL

      Delete
  5. Gorgeousness of awesome gorgeousness....all wrapped up in gorgeousness. LOVE !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh thanks Lynne! You are too kind!!
      xo

      Delete
  6. It's a gorgeous re-do! I love that colour. And don't feel as if you're ignoring your blog. My mantra this year is quality over quantity for blog posts. I found that with the blogs I enjoyed reading the most, it wasn't about daily entries, it was about good entries. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex! I totally agree with you about quality over quantity. That's a great goal for all of us :)

      Delete
  7. Amazing transformation! You've really turned into a gorgeous price. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet Those are gorgeous settings. Amazing transformation!!! I love your blog!!!
    Angelica

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment here: Love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...